Share This Content - Benefit a Friend!
Starting up a laundry soap making business in Nigeria could turn you into a millionaire if well planned and executed. Even if it you don’t reach the stage of turning it into a million naira business, there is profit and money to be made from this business.
The good thing about this business is that you could start it on a small scale or large scale; and it is quite easy to start up as the materials can be obtained locally in the neighbourhood.
Before we go into the actual making of laundry soaps, let’s take a look at some of the chemicals used in its production. Most of these chemicals are building agents.
Chemicals Used For Laundry Soap Making Business In Nigeria
Fats and Oil – this could be from either plant or animal source. They are made up of a distinctive string of triglycerines. Fatty acids are the main components of fats and oils used in soap making. Palm kernel oil is very good in the making of soap.
Caustic Soda – it exists as white pearls. It dissolves readily in water to produce an aqueous solution. Commonly known as sodium hydroxide; it is the most widely used alkali in soap making.
Soda Ash – this is a strong soluble compound that has been hydrated into washing soda. It aids in increasing the quantity and quality of the product. Soda Ash is available in two forms: the ‘light’ and ‘dense’ forms.
Silicate – this is a liquid salt derived from silic acid. It plays the role of binding and shining agent in soap production. Excess of it leads to fast dissolving of the soap while insufficient quantity leads to a dull looking soap.
Kaolin – fine white clay that is used as a filler and extender.
Sodium Sulphate – a bitter white salt used for strengthening fibres and gives strength to the soap.
Apparatus For Laundry Soap Making Business In Nigeria
- Heater – for heating the oil
- Mixer – used for manually or electrically mixing the solution
- Cutting machine – used to cut the soap into desired shapes before it solidifies. It could be done manually or electrically
- Hydrometer – an instrument for determining the chemical concentration of caustic soda and soda ash solution. Such chemical concentration determines the quality of the soap.
- Moulds – the soap solution is poured in here for solidification. It could be plastic, wooden or metal moulds.
- Fermenting tanks – these are containers used for fermenting the caustic soda and soda ash. They are usually 2 plastic containers with covers.
- Stamping machine – used for inscribing the name and trademark on the soap.
- Cartons – used for packaging the soap.
Industrial Formula For Laundry Soap Making Business In Nigeria
The following are required if you want to produce laundry soap on a large scale.
- Caustic soda 6kg
- Palm kernel oil 8kg
- Soda ash 800g
- Kaolin or CMC 125g
- Sodium sulphate or STPP 150g
- Silicate 200g
The following is the procedure used for producing laundry soap on a large scale.
- The caustic soda, kaolin and 4 litres of water should be poured into one of the fermenting tanks according to the required measurements. Stir very well and then cover tightly. Allow to stay for 48hrs. The concentration should be at 1,275. A higher concentration will make the soap to be harsh on the skin while a lower one will make the soap soft.
- Now, put the soda ash, sodium sulphate and 2.5 litres of water into the other fermenting tank according to the required measurement. Stir properly then allow to stay for 24hrs. The concentration should be at 1, 200.
- After fermentation for the stipulated time, heat the palm kernel oil adding the colorant.
- The heated oil should be removed from the heater and allowed to cool down.
- Pour the already heated oil into the mixing tank, add the caustic soda solution and them mix thoroughly.
- Also pour in the soda ash solution and continue to mix
- Add the silicate
- Add the perfume and mix vigorously
- Pour the mixture into the mould and allow to solidify for about 2 to 3 hours.
- Cut, stamp and package the soap.
Well, that’s all there is to producing laundry soap on a large scale. It is a business that could give you a positive financial turnaround.
Household Formula For Laundry Soap Making Business In Nigeria
Instead of buying laundry soap it is possible to produce for household purposes. The following procedure is used when you want to produce soap on a small scale especially for personal usage.
- Caustic soda 2 milk tins
- Palm kernel oil 6 milk tins
- Soda ash 1 milk tin
- Kaolin or CMC 1/6 milk tin
- Sodium sulphate 1/8 milk tin
- Silicate ¼ milk tin
- Put the caustic soda and kaolin into one of the fermenting tanks. Add 6 milk tins of water to it.
- Stir vigorously; cover and allow fermenting for 48 hours.
- Now, put the soda ash and STPP into the other fermenting tank; adding 4 cups of water. Stir thoroughly, cover and keep aside for 24 hours.
- After 48 hours, place the palm kernel oil on the fire and add the oil soluble colour. Stir well and allow heating.
- Pour heated oil into the mixing tank and allow to cool.
- At this point in time, gradually add the caustic soda solution while stirring thoroughly at the same time with a long stick.
- Gradually add soda ash solution as the mixing continues
- Also gradually add silicate as the mixing continues
- Also add the perfume as mixing continues
- Stir the mixture thoroughly for 5 minutes so as to allow all chemicals to be well blended.
- Pour mixture into moulds and allow to stay for like 2 hours in order to set
- Once you remove from the moulds, your laundry soap is ready
As we have seen, starting up laundry soap making business in Nigeria is not a big deal and is quite cost effective; and the potential remunerations / profits is on the high scale. Those already in the business are reaping the profits already.